Your CPD: Questions - Blue water
1. Which type of flux is recommended for use with lead-free solder?
a) Water soluble
b) Petroleum jelly, which also lubricates the joint
c) Paste flux
2. What is the impact of excess use of flux?
a) Wasting flux
b) Corrosion of the copper pipe
c) Blue discoloration of the water
3. Where should flux be applied when preparing a copper joint gas service?
a) Inside the joint and outside of the pipe
b) Inside the joint and inside of the pipe
c) Outside of the joint and outside of the pipe
d) Outside of the pipe
4. Why does green pitting of copper tube occur in some parts of the UK?
a) The HW is stored at too high a temperature
b) Different areas use different types of fluxes
c) The differences in the local water PH values
5. For your safety, when soldering a copper joint, you must ensure there is adequate what?
a) Flux applied
6. Self-cleaning flux doesn’t require any cleaning of the pipe or fitting
CIPHE members are expected to complete 30 hours of CPD each year. Completion of these assessments can count towards this requirement.
Answer the questions and send your answers, along with your name, membership number and email address, to:
CPD Assessment, CIPHE
64 Station Lane
Essex RM12 6NB
or visit the members-only area of the CIPHE website: