Asbestos remains major killer, warns HSEs
Asbestos exposure remains a major killer, according to data from the HSE.
Its data for 2019/20 covering workplace health also revealed injury at work costs have topped £16bn.
The key findings were:
• 1.6 million working people suffering from a work-related illness
• 2,446 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2018)
• 111 workers killed at work
• 693,000 working people sustain an injury at work according to the Labour Force Survey
• 65,427 injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
• 38.8 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
• £16.2 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2018/19)