HSE fines firm after burns injury

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has fined a plumbing and heating company after an employee suffered serious burns.

John Leadley Limited was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,756.35 at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court following an explosion at a domestic property in Preesall, Lancashire on 13 March 2019.

An employee of the company had been replacing a gas boiler in the hallway of a bungalow and was soldering new water pipes when there was a sudden explosion.

An investigation by the HSE found that a gas supply pipe had been cut prior to installation of the new boiler, but the open end of that pipe had not been sealed with an appropriate fitting.

John Leadley Limited, of Victoria Road East, Thornton Cleveleys pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) and Section 3(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

HSE Inspector Anthony Banks said: “The injuries sustained to this employee could so easily have been avoided, simply by John Leadley Limited carrying out the correct control measures and safe working practices.

“Employers, and others, should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

You might also like

HVAC can lower COVID-19 risk says HSE

HVAC can lower COVID-19 risk says HSE

Plumber sign-up bid goes viral

Plumber sign-up bid goes viral

CIPHE urges public to flip ‘n’ flush

CIPHE urges public to flip ‘n’ flush